2011-08-29

What is a Nerd Girl | Life Blog | Running Blog | Nerd Girls A GoGo

I’m still working on the text for “What is a Nerd Girl.”
Life has been busy over at www.BadOnlineDates.com with the migration to a new platform. (Much construction dust!)

BUT…

According to the dictionary this is the definition of the word “nerd.”

nerd |nərd|
noun informal
a foolish or contemptible person who lacks social skills or is boringly studious : one of those nerds who never asked a girl to dance.
• an intelligent, single-minded expert in a particular technical discipline or profession : he single-handedly changed the Zero image of the computer nerd into one of savvy Hero.
DERIVATIVES
nerdish adjective
nerdishness noun
nerdy |ˈnərdi| adjective
ORIGIN 1950s: of unknown origin.

Which explains why when I told my mom who was in her mid- teens in the 50’s that I was going to be the nerd / woman behind a blog called, “NerdGirlsAGoGo,” She point-blank said to me;
“Jennifer, you are NOT a nerd!”

It was then that I reminded her of my bright purple boots in Jr. High School that I absolutely had to have – and, yes I was teased… I may as well have been that girl eating lunch alone in the school cafeteria…

However, I didn’t care and I had many good friends – each with their own fashion sense.

So getting back to the purple boots, how is this relevant to being a “Nerd Girl? “

Well… because it was my, “intelligent, single-mindedness” as written about in the dictionary definition above that allowed me to embrace my personal fashion sense with zero care about what others thought as I walked proudly and strangely fashionable through the halls of my L.A. Unified Public School – in my well worn purple Charles Jordan boots, without batting one single, mascara free eye lash at the ripe old age of 13.

OK, what exactly is a “Nerd Girl?”

In my opinion there are many of us out there – if not most of us – we are women that defy the odds, march to our own drum -with our own style, we have lots of interests, and while we may spend way to much time in front and or behind a computer screen, reading books/magazines or like me would rather travel solo than with others – just so that we can have the experience of meeting new people, and seeing new things from a single perspective… Yes, that’s pretty “nerdy” to prefer traveling on my own!

Blah, Blah, Blah …and regardless of the type of glasses, Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer cardigan sweater, Prada handbag or purple boots that we may wear, or not wear, I believe that we all have pieces of “Nerd Girl” in us – even you men!

Oh, yes and for the record while the purple boots don’t fit me anymore and have been replaced by a new black pair of Ralph Lauren riding boots, I still have them tucked away in the closet!

Nerd Girls A GoGo – Life Blog, Jennifer’s Running Blog and California & Venice Beach Pictures

Posted via email from projectbrainsaver