2010-07-10

Raoul Moat: Gazza arrives in Rothbury to 'offer his support' - Telegraph

He told Metro Radio: "He is willing to give in now. I just want to give him some therapy and say 'come on Moaty, it's Gazza'.

"He is all right – simply as that and I am willing to help him. I have come all the way from Newcastle to Rothbury to find him, have a chat with him.

"I guarantee, Moaty, he won't shoot me. I am good friends with him."

Gascoigne, who has battled with drink for much of his adult life, is said to have fished frequently in nearby Rothbury. He said he had taken a fishing rod with him on Friday night.

He was reported to have fallen off the wagon in the town in 1999, while still a footballer, when locals reported seeing him drunk in a local pub.

Reacting with shock to the news Gascoigne was in Rothbury, his agent Kenny Shepherd said: "He's doing what? I am sitting having an evening meal in Majorca. I'm speechless."

Posted via email from projectbrainsaver